KBF came up with this event after eliminating the State Adjustment Factor, as a way for KBF Members in “small-bass states” to achieve success on the national level. Because state rankings play such a huge part of one’s Challenge AOY score total, and because one person, at least, from each state will be invited, this gives almost everyone an equal shot at the national limelight and high-dollar payouts.
- Top Challenge AOY Points earner for each state (rolling down until the slot is filled). Points are accumulated in all KBF Challenges through mid-October. No more than two KBF State Challenges can count each month, and up to 20 Challenges in all. If you compete in more than that, lowest scores are culled. No limit on Special Challenges (like the KBF One Night Stand and the Dog Days Challenge in August).
- After states with at leasts one KBF member residing in them are all represented, then starting at the top of the Challenge AOY Points ranking, we work down, inviting each person, skipping previously invited, until we have 100 who accept the invitation and confirm
- Invitations will go out right after the Columbus Day Challenge in mid-October, but no one should be surprised to receive an invitation; rankings will be updated periodically so everyone will have a pretty good idea where they stand.
- Two-Day event is concurrent with the End on the Bend KBF OPEN Series Tournament on Toledo Bend out of Many, LA, with HQ at Cypress Bend Park, the first weekend in November. Same rules as the OPEN: 5 bass creel each day.
- Prize pool is being built of $2.00 from every Challenge registration throughout the season. If you figure we have about 1,000 competitors per month, March through September is seven thousand registrations, so we’re looking in the neighborhood of a $14,000-15,000 pot.
- First place guaranteed $10,000, with remainder of the prize pool distributed proportional to rank to the next nine anglers in rank. (I guess if someone refuses the prize money, it would roll down.)
- No Entry Fee. No AOY Points. No BONUS BUCKS. No KBF-NC Slots. For those, sign up to fish the KBF OPEN…same time, same water, same rules.
When is the 100 Challenge Championship?
It’s the first weekend in November on Toledo Bend (the same weekend as the End on the Bend KBF OPEN).
Where is this event to be held?
Out of Cypress Bend State Park near Many, Louisiana on Toledo Bend Reservoir—the lake Bassmaster Magazine has named America’s #1 big bass lake two years in a row.
Which AOY Points count toward this event?
Not all KBF AOY Points count. AOY Points earned through competition in both KBF OPEN Series and TRAIL Series tournaments do not.
The 100 CHALLENGE Championship will consider only AOY points earned in KBF Challenges (both the monthly KBF State Challenges as well as Special Challenges).
Do points from all Challenges count?
No more than two KBF State Challenges per month contribute to one’s total, so if a KBF Member fishes in KY, PA, OH, and WV KBF State Challenges in the same month, we’ll count the two for which his AOY Points were highest and cull the two lower scores.
There’s no limit on Special Challenges, but we offer only two of those per month.
AOY Points from no more than 20 Challenges will be counted in determining who gets invited to the 100 CHALLENGE Championship.
How do I get to compete in this event?
It’s an invitation-only event. The top scoring KBF Member from each state will be invited (and if he declines, that invitation rolls to #2 in score, and so on down the rank until each state is represented). Then, the remaining positions are filled by starting at the top of the Challenge AOY scores nationwide and working our way down, inviting each one until we fill out the 100.
What is the Entry Fee?
No entry fee. $2.00 from each Challenge registration all year goes into the pot. First place pays out $10,000, guaranteed, with the rest of the prize pool distributed among the next nine in rank.
When do invitations go out?
In order to get invitations out in time for people to respond and make their travel plans, the last Challenge that will contribute points toward the 100 Challenge Competition will be the Columbus Day Challenge (10/7-8). Immediately following posting of that event’s results, invitations will be distributed. We hope to have the roster finalized, all slots verified, by October 17—two weeks before the event.
Will every state be represented?
Every state with at least one KBF Member resident who earned 2017 KBF AOY Points in KBF Challenges will be offered invitations. We have no members at this time in some states, and others may have only one or two members, who didn’t compete in Challenges. No invitations will be offered in those states.
If one resides in states that have only one KBF Member (MO, NM, and RI, at the time this was written) and competes in even one Challenge, he has a 100% chance of getting invited.
No fair; I live in a state with 200 KBF Members!
If you mean your chances of getting an invitation would be better if you lived in Rhode Island, then okay; we see your point. Your odds of being included are a sure thing as it is for our single RI member. You’ll have to top your state or be in the top ranks nationally to have a shot at receiving an invitation.
KBF is trying to promote participation in this sport across the US. In every state. So we’re creating incentives for bass anglers in states like New Mexico to jump in, become KBF members, and compete in Challenges. The 100 Challenge is one way we do that.
KBF is organizing the event, staffing the event, promoting the event, and paying all the expenses to hold the event, For those reasons we get to take our mission into account. In the long run, this plan benefits all KBF Members, even though it reduces the odds of an invitation for individuals.
What's the pay-out?
$10,000 guaranteed to First Place.
The balance of the prize pot is apportioned to the next nine places in rank.
Is this a KBF National Championship Qualifying Event?
No. Chances are every competitor invited will already have qualified. If not, though, they may sign up to fish the KBF OPEN “End on the Bend” that will run concurrently. Same water. Same rules.
Will KBF BONUS BUCKS be paid out?
No. But if one competes in the concurrent “End on the Bend” KBF OPEN going on at the same time, same place, bonuses will be paid out there.
Will KBF AOY Points be awarded?
No. KBF doesn’t award Angler of the Year points at invitational tournaments (“The TEN,” National Championship, 100 Challenge Championship).