2016 KBF OPEN - West VirginiaNew River, Greenbrier River, and Bluestone Lake
KBF wraps up the summer with an OPEN Series Tournament on West Virginia’s fabled smallmouth bass waters. This two-day, three-bass-per-day tournament is open to both KBF Members and non-members. It is a qualifying event for the 2017 KBF National Championship, which will be March 30-April 1 on Kentucky Lake, Paris, Tennessee.
Prize money payout amounts and the number of paying places at the KBF OPEN will be determined by the number of registrants.
Most anglers fishing the KBF OPEN will also sign up for the 2016 KBF HOW Big Bass Brawl – West Virginia, a separate but concurrent event that runs the last pre-fishing day and the two days of OPEN competition. Entry Fee for the Brawl is $20, and all proceeds benefit Heroes on the Water. Top prize for the four-day, one-bass event is a fantastic Sponsors’ Prize Pack, plus each day the top KBF BONUS BUCKS Member will receive a $200 check.
2016 KBF OPEN – Kentucky Lake Competition Rules Addendum
- Venue Host: Paris-Henry County Chamber of Commerce
- Tournament HQ: Historic Hotel McCreery (McCreery Conference & Event Center), 320 2nd Avenue, Hinton, WV 25951. (304) 466-8100
- Tournament Director: Chad Hoover
- Eligibility: KBF OPEN Series tournaments welcome participation by both KBF Members and non-members.
- Competition Rules: KBF Rules are in two parts:
- By registering, each competitor acknowledges he has read and agrees to abide by (a.) the KBF Competition Rules Standards (including the Release and Indemnification Agreement and Copyright and Use of Images Agreement) and to (b.) the specific rules outlined in the KBF Competition Rules Addendum on this page; and
- The competitor further agrees to abide by the KBF Event Participation Terms and Conditions.
- NOTE: KBF Competition Rules Standards were revised on August 1, 2016, so make sure to familiarize yourself with them.
- Event Schedule
- Competition start times were established as approximately one hour before sunrise.
- Thursday 9/1 4:00 p.m.: Pre-fishing on Eligible Waters ends.
- Thursday 9/1 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.: Check-in and On-site Registrations at Tournament HQ
- Thursday 9/1 7:00 p.m.: Mandatory Captains Meeting at Tournament HQ
- Thursday 9/2 5:00 a.m.: Make-up Captains Meeting at Tournament HQ parking lot
- Friday 9/2 6:00 a.m.: Competition Start Time
- Friday 9/2 4:00 p.m.: all anglers must be in or through the judges line at tournament HQ for photo confirmation.
- Friday 9/2 6:00 p.m.: mandatory Captains Meeting at Tournament HQ
- Saturday 9/3 6:00 a.m.: Competition Start Time
- Saturday 9/3 4:00 p.m.: all anglers must be in or through the judges line at tournament HQ for photo confirmation.
- Saturday 9/3 5:00 p.m. (or soon thereafter): Awards Ceremony begins as soon as judging ends (might be as early as 4:30 p.m.).
- Format: This two-day CPR tournament will be determined by the longest 6-bass total length (three bass from Friday, three from Saturday, with no culling on Saturday of Friday’s catch). Each competitor’s six (6 longest bass caught from eligible water during competition hours and submitted within the time frame permitted by the rules will contribute to the cumulative score.
- Eligible Water & Location: For the 2016 KBF OPEN – West Virginia, eligible waters are Bluestone Lake, the New River upstream to the Virginia line and downstream to the mouth of Gauley River (Gauley Bridge), and Greenbrier River from its confluence with the New River upstream to Marlinton, plus any backwaters, bays, creeks and sloughs contiguous to those lakes at present pool level. Basically, if you can paddle to it from that lake or two rivers (or at least float your kayak to it), it’s in-bounds.
- Entry Fee and Registration Procedures
- This event is conducted as an online KBF Challenge powered by TourneyX.
- Sign up and pay your $100 Entry Fee at TourneyX.
- Check-in and Captains Meetings will be at Tournament HQ. Competitors may register and pay Entry Fees at Check-in if they have not already done so earlier. For competitors whose work schedules make it impossible to arrive by 7 p.m. Thursday, a make-up Captains Meeting and late registration will be at 5:00 a.m. Friday morning.
- Entry Fee Transfers—Up until Sunday, August 28, 2016, Entry Fees may be transferred to another Competitor’s account. There is no service charge for transfers.
- Entry Fee Refunds—Refund requests must be received by Kayak Bass Fishing, LLC by email or in writing by end of day on Wednesday, August 30. All refunds will be assessed a 10% service charge.
- Manual Submission of Digital Photos: The preferred channel for submitting digital photos is upload from the angler’s smart phone directly to to TourneyX. If a Competitor cannot or will not upload photos to Tourney X, Tournament Staff will do so at Tournament HQ each day. Anglers who need to have their digital photos upload to TourneyX by Tournament Staff must be prepared to surrender their camera’s memory card or cell phone and USB cable. No Competitor who arrives in line after 4:00 p.m. will be allowed to turn in his memory card or cable to Tournament Staff for on-site uploads.
- The number of places and payout amounts will vary with the number of registered competitors. Assuming 100 paid entry fees, at right are the projected payout amounts:
- In addition the top ten (10) previously not-qualified anglers in rank will qualify for slots at the 2017 KBF National Championship. If an angler in the top ranks has already qualified, then his slot will roll down to the highest alternate who has not.
- In addition to prizes, a bonus of $1,000 will be paid to the first place finisher if he is a KBF BONUS BUCKS Program Participant.
- Awarding of Prizes
- Competitors must be present to receive awards.
- Cash prizes and BONUS BUCKS will be distributed at the Saturday Night Awards Ceremony at Tournament HQ.
- Tournament results will be visible on TourneyX and will be posted on this Website and on Facebook. Competitors must be present to claim their awards and bonuses.
BIG BASS BRAWL: Concurrent with the KBF OPEN is the three-day KBF HOW Big Bass Brawl, which raises money to benefit active duty military and veterans for whom kayak fishing has become a means of reintegration, rehabilitation, and recovery from the physical, mental, and psychological trauma of combat. All proceeds from your $20 entry fee go to this highly effective program. Daily $200 bonuses will go to the top scoring KBF BONUS BUCKS participant . The overall winner of this one-bass, three day competition will be awarded an ATAK fishing kayak from Wilderness Systems, a Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus paddle, YakAttack BlackPak, and NRS Chinook fishing PFD. Please take part in this fund-raiser event, and honor tits sponsors for their generous support of our military and of the volunteers who labor on their behalf.
Unique KBF-TourneyX Identifier
You may wish to open and print a blank KBF-TourneyX Identifier form before you travel to Hinton, West Virginia to compete in the KBF OPEN and KBF HOW Big Bass Brawl. The same blank will be used for both competitions–as well as in the September Mid-Atlantic North KBF Regional Challenge. KBF staff will post each day’s Big Bass unique ID code(s) on the TourneyX event pages and also email and/or text them to registered competitors at 7 p.m. the evening before each day’s competition. KBF OPEN identifier codes will be revealed at the Thursday 7:00 p.m. Captains Meetings.
Kayaks provide anglers unique access to areas that many other anglers, both powerboat as well as bank-walkers, rarely fish. We’re making the most of that advantage by declaring all publicly accessible waters of Bluestone Lake within West Virginia, the New River up to the mouth of the Gauley River, and the Greenbrier River up to Marlington as eligible to be fished by 2016 KBF OPEN – West Virginia competitors. This includes all areas that are contiguous to those three bodies of water, that is, connected so that one can paddle to them—tributaries, sloughs, backwaters, bays and coves.
KBF Partner Mountain State Kayak Anglers has prepared data sheets for each of those three bodies of water. Be sure to open and review them for access points and spots worth investigating.
This KBF OPEN is being held over Labor Day weekend, so make your lodging plans as early as possible.
If you are looking for camping/lodging options for the KBF Open – WV, MSKA suggested a few places to consider. They have included the public fishing access ramps, possible rivers float, and eligible water maps so anglers can try to find camping/lodging close to the section they intend to fish. If you plan to stay in or around Hinton, the sooner you make your accommodations the better, because this is a popular area over the Labor Day weekend.
Group Location: Bertha Campsite in Bluestone Wildlife Management Area – http://www.summerscountycamping.com/ – If anyone is interested in group camping and interacting with other KBF/MSKA members, a large group of anglers will be staying at the Bertha Campsite located directly on the New River above Bluestone Dam. This is a primitive campground that is first come first serve with outhouses, but no running water. Two tents are allowed per site. It is located directly on the Bluestone Lake (New River arm of lake) in a prime fishing location. It is approximately a 30 minute drive from the campsite to the KBF Headquarters in Hinton, WV.
Berry’s Campground – http://www.berryscamp.com/ – There is another campground located directly on the New River below Bluestone Dam in another prime fishing location a few miles above the famous Sandstone Falls. This is Berry’s Campground and they still have several 2 tent campsites available. They do accept reservations, so book now if you plan to fish around the Sandstone section of the New River. This location is approximately 15 minutes from KBF Headquarters in downtown Hinton.
Riverchase Campgrounds – http://www.riverchasecampground.com/ – Located by Meadow Creek public access, which is a great section of the New River and only approximately 25 minutes to KBG Headquarters in downtown Hinton.
Greenbrier River Campground – http://greenbrierriver.com/ – Located directly on the Greenbrier River a few miles above Alderson, WV. Call ahead for reservations. This location is approximately 30 minutes from KBF Headquarters in downtown Hinton.
ACE Adventure Gear – 304-574-1900 – Located in Fayetteville, WV. This campsite is approximately an hour away from KBF Headquarters, but is close to several prime fishing locations on the Lower New River. If you plan to fish any section of the New River below Glade Creek, this is probably your best option for camping. The Lower New River offers some of the best fishing on the river and is perfect for anglers trying to get away from the crowds and don’t mind losing fishing time to travel back at the end of each day. Be aware that many stretches of the Lower New River include technical rapids rated at Class III and above. Camping is only $5/night for MSKA and KBF members and there is a shower house on the premise.
Bluestone State Park – http://www.bluestonesp.com/camping.html – Located on the Bluestone River section of Bluestone Lake. The website is showing 5 cabins still available. This location is approximately 10 minutes from KBF Headquarters in downtown Hinton, WV.
Meadow Creek Cabins – Phone: 304-575-2918 and ask for Sammy Pugh. They have 3 Cabins available by Meadow Creek public access, which is a great section of the New River and only approximately 25 minutes to KBG Headquarters in downtown Hinton. These houses can accommodate large groups and will even allow tents to be setup outside in the year. Contact for specifics on rates.
Greenbrier River Campground – http://greenbrierriver.com/cabin-rv-rentals/ – Still showing 2 cabins & 2 RV’s available for Labor Day weekend. These will go fast! This location is located right on the Greenbrier River and is approximately 30 minutes from KBF Headquarters in Hinton, WV
Greenbrier River Escape – http://www.greenbrierriverescape.com/ -Call for more information. This location is located 15 minutes from KBF Headquarters in downtown Hinton
Peg’s Peak – http://www.pegspeak.com/
The Guest House – http://www.guesthousewv.com/ – There are not a lot of hotel options within Hinton. There are a few very nice Town House style rooms that accommodate 2 people still available for rent over the Labor Day weekend. These will go fast. They book for between $139-199/night.
Sandman Motel Inn – (304) 466-1700 – This is a small motel located right below Blueston Dam on the New River. It won’t be the nicest place you’ve ever laid your head, but will provide a hot shower at the end of each day. It is only 5 minutes from KBF Tournament Headquarters.
Sleep Inn – Beaver, WV – https://www.choicehotels.com/west-virginia/beaver/sleep-inn-hotels/wv048?source=gyxt – This location is about 20 minutes away from the Sandstone Access ramp of the New River, which is a prime fishing location. From the hotel to KBF Headquarters is approximately 35 minutes.