• Advertisement
Major League Fishing

All Star Micro Series Rod

Forum Sponsored by: MAJOR LEAGUE FISHING

Share your tips, technigues, tactics, presentations and strategies. Discuss considerations for selecting lures, areas to fish, when to fish and other important considerations to increase your success. Discuss your favorite gear for each technique and share recommendations and product reviews.

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

All Star Micro Series Rod

Postby SoggyKayaker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I stopped by my local Academy at lunch today. While looking at their rods, I noticed a new rod that I had not seen before. The rod is an All Star Micro series in baitcast and spinning. The rods felt great and light. Has anyone seen these rods or have any experience with them?

HOW - North Eastern Oklahoma Chapter

* US Army Retired * HOW - Northeastern Oklahoma Chapter Coordinator * Commander 120 * Ride 115 *

SoggyKayaker
KBF ANGLER

Re: All Star Micro Series Rod

Postby Plasticpirogue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 pm

No, I haven't but I do know that All Star builds a very good rod for the money.
aka: "Grand Master Spinnerbait Caster PP Flash"
Plasticpirogue
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby HookUp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 pm

All Star use to be top notch, but got bought out a few years back by one of the big guys; Shimano maybe?

Not saying the rods are not good, just they are not the top notch, built in the USofA they use to be. Use to get the old Allstar blanks for a song at rod building shows.
HookUp
KBF 3000 CLUB

Postby CTGalloway21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 pm

I hit up Academy when they have the All-Star rods for $25 a piece.
2012 Jackson Coosa Yellow Jacket
CTGalloway21
KBF 500 Club

Postby Plasticpirogue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Not to be argumentative, but the quality really went down hill about 15 years ago when to keep the prices down they went to using cheap components. In the last 5 years or so I have noticed that IN GENERAL the quality of components has gotten better; I use the "Classic" rods in salt (so as not to bang up my good rods in aluminum boats in the marsh) and they actually sport real Fuji guide sets....aluminum oxide, but real Fujis none the less. I challenge anybody to show me a better sub $50 rod than an All Star Classic which is sold only by Academy.

FYI, most rod blanks (sold by anyone) are made in Korea; Kunan makes the vast majority of all rod blanks sold as completed rods in the good old USofA.
Plasticpirogue
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby Plasticpirogue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 pm

CTGalloway21 wrote:I hit up Academy when they have the All-Star rods for $25 a piece.

Excellent point; my twin brother and I usually grab a couple (always keep extras) when we see them go on sale. Sometimes we find what we are looking for (PRMS & PRMC) and sometimes we don't; but when we do we grab them.

Note: PRMS & C stands for Popping Rod Medium Spinning and Casting....great all purpose light tackle inshore rods for specs and reds.
Plasticpirogue
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby HookUp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Had to do some hunting:

In 2004 All Star was bought out by Shakespeare and their production facilities were moved out of the country.

Prior to '04, All Star rods were up there with the mid to top level Loomis, Lamiglass & St. Croix rods.
HookUp
KBF 3000 CLUB

Postby SoggyKayaker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 pm

After doing some research, I passed up the opportunity on getting one. They only have a 1 year warranty. I can find a rod with much better warranty for the same price.

HOW - North Eastern Oklahoma Chapter

* US Army Retired * HOW - Northeastern Oklahoma Chapter Coordinator * Commander 120 * Ride 115 *

SoggyKayaker
KBF ANGLER

Postby WhiteWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 am

This will be an Academy only line. These were on display at the BASS Expo last week. Not bad looking, but still need to be tested.
Columbia Pro Team-PFG,
The Fish Grip Team,
V & M baits,

Wilderness Commander 140
Wilderness Ride 135

*United States Army Veteran*

"You have never lived until you have almost died, for those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a special flavor the protected will never know." ...SFA//SOA
WhiteWolf
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Texascoosa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 pm

I checked out one of those new ones the other day, that reel seat felt like junk, especially for a rod over a hundred bucks. Should've made it similar to the one on that Abu Garcia rod.
Texascoosa
KBF ANGLER

Return to Fishin' Gear, Tactics, Techniques, Tips, Presentations and Strategies