• Advertisement
Major League Fishing

Breaking Out of My Swimbait Comfort Zone

Forum Sponsored by: MAJOR LEAGUE FISHING

Share your tips, technigues, tactics, presentations and strategies. Discuss considerations for selecting lures, areas to fish, when to fish and other important considerations to increase your success. Discuss your favorite gear for each technique and share recommendations and product reviews.

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

Breaking Out of My Swimbait Comfort Zone

Postby CrX970 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 pm

One of my fishing resolutions for the new year was to get more comfortable with swimbaits. I've been tossing big money minnows and Spro BBZ-1s for a few months now for striper and smallmouth. With my comfort level rising I figured it was time to step it up another level. I placed a sizeable order last night for some Huddlestons. I only ordered the six inch for now mainly because I don't have a rod that can handle the 8". I got a couple in each available fall rate in the Juvenile Trout and Silver/Green (which looks like Tennessee shad to me and is one of my favorite crank/jerkbait colors) and some new bait glue.

I'm pretty excited to start slinging these hefty swimbaits and as soon as I decide to buy a new rod/reel I'll probably order the 8" along with some Bullshads.

With all the stocker trout in the rivers and lakes I really feel like these should be an amazing bait especially in one of the super clear lakes up here.

Does anyone have any good tips or info that might help? Any thoughts on these baits would be appreciated.

Link http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Huddlest ... -HD6T.html
CrX970
KBF 1000 Club

Re: Breaking Out of My Swimbait Comfort Zone

Postby Drewgill » Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm sure some the gurus will chime in shortly.

Until then, I can offer one important thing I've learned from my experiences fishing Hudds: slower is better. I use a 4.7:1 reel just to help myself with this.

Also, in case you don't have one, a good plug knocker can save you lots of $$.
Drewgill
KBF ANGLER

Postby CrX970 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Drewgill wrote:I'm sure some the gurus will chime in shortly.

Until then, I can offer one important thing I've learned from my experiences fishing Hudds: slower is better. I use a 4.7:1 reel just to help myself with this.

Also, in case you don't have one, a good plug knocker can save you lots of $$.

I've got a neat little rig with a retractable dog leash and the standard lead knocker. Any idea on a good weight for the knocker? These Hudds weigh 2+ ounces so maybe something close?
CrX970
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Drewgill » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm sure many will work. I use a 9 oz. monster called the .44 Mag Lure Retriever.

http://projecttackle.com/44mag-lure-retriever-9oz.html
Drewgill
KBF ANGLER

Postby diamondback » Fri May 11, 2012 4:15 am

check out swimbait nation.those are the experts at fishing and making swimbaits and will answer all your questions.I been thinking about those 8 inch hudds alot lately also.
diamondback
Wilderness Systems 2010 ANGLER OF THE YEAR

Postby RiveRover » Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 am

I,ve been throwing the 6" weedless Hud for a few weeks now....One thing I,ve noticed is its really tough to get a good hookset with them. I,ve had plenty of bites from some really nice fish but not great success hooking up. Im pretty sure its me with a half a** hookset..I,ve checked some of the swimbait sites and this seems to be common with this bait. The advice I got was to swing really hard with a straight up hookset instead of to the side. Please keep us posted as Im really interested in your results....Mike
RiveRover
KBF ANGLER

Postby jfrancho » Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 am

I only throw the weedless Hudd when I absolutely have to. I prefer the American Trash Fish in weeds. Otherwise, I like the original 6" Hudd. The key with this bait is to pretend it is a football jig. If his nose isn't beat up a bit, you're doing it wrong.
ImageImage
jfrancho
KBF 4000 CLUB

Postby kayaker_tye » Thu May 17, 2012 2:38 pm

I'll have to admit, I haven't quite got the hang of the Hudds. I have the 8" trout and the 6" as well. I just need to put in some more time with them. They will get some use in about 8 days at Falcon!
Tye Blackshear
kayaker_tye
KBF ANGLER

Postby KirkG. » Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Give this site a look over. They always seem to have a good video or article on throwing the big baits. http://tacticalbassin.com/

KirkG.
KirkG.
KBF ANGLER

Postby CrX970 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I spent all day Sunday throwing the hudd. Almost 8 full hours. I caught some quality fish (all smallmouth in the 3+ range) and had a striper on briefly. I experienced pure heart break early on though. And this is no "fisherman's tale." I had a bad hookset and lost a PIG smallmouth that would have EASILY, and I do mean easily, went over 7 pounds. He spit the lure boatside as I was trying to get a hand on him. I've thought about that fish for two straight days now. UHG!

I'm totally into this big swimbait thing now. I went out and bought a new 7'9" swimbait rod and am ordering some 8" hudds next week. It's on now.
CrX970
KBF 1000 Club

Next

Return to Fishin' Gear, Tactics, Techniques, Tips, Presentations and Strategies