Wow... thanks for the compliments guys, but I hadn't even applied the finish on the caddy segments yet. I spent most of the morning and the afternoon in short sessions working on the three portions applying the finish.
First, the sanding, using a palm sanding and fine grit sandpaper. I didn't put show quality finish on this bad boy since it was just going on the desk in the den, but I did want it to look nice. The job was made easier by the Swedish Workbench in the Workshop, with the various clamps and vises on the bench working with one arm was not too bad.
Once I got the sanding done, I applied some deep red maple stain, and wiped it away, to bring up the grain and let er dry. Really made the Brazilian Cherry Pop!
Rather than use any kind of varnish, I like to use the british bees wax finish, so I rubbed that on and let it dry. After it dried I covered the sanding wheel for the drill press with a couple rags for padding and then pulled an old gym sock over that and used it to buff out the wax. Normally I'd do about five or six coats for a high gloss finish, but this is for the tying room desk and I did just the one heavy original coat. If it begins to dull, I'll just remove the tools and wax er back up.
The First piece in the set holds the various guides for the Nor-vise and the allen wrenches, plus the bobbin threader and a few other items:
Item two in the set contains the scissor set, dubbing wax, head cement and the film canister with 4/0 steel wool for the bodkin tip cleaning...
Item three in the set contains the rest of the tools neatly laid out for easy access and neat storage.
All together they make up the nice little set, I love the look of the waxed Brazilian Cherry Caddy.