• Advertisement
Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear

Not from florida but......

Paddlers all over Florida are discovering the excitement of chasing mossybacks in the Sunshine State. If you live in Florida, plan on visiting or just wanna see what is going on, check out the Florida Bass Paddlers.

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne

Not from florida but......

Postby flyfisher » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:50 am

Hey guys and gals. As it is getting colder around here i have been pondering the idea of planning a trip in early 2012 to head to someplace warmer and search for some largemouth. My question is if you were planning a trip where would you go and what time of year would be best?

I have done some searching online but seems like info is scattered and I wasn't able to find anything that great with regards to lakes that would be nice and kayak friendly.

I would be driving down from virginia so while it would be a long trip it wouldn't be that bad.

Any advice would be great.

THanks
flyfisher
KBF 1000 Club

Advertisement

Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear

Re: Not from florida but......

Postby watertime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey there, I'm in Orlando and fish the Central Florida area so I can give you my take for what it's worth. Fishing here in the winter varies with the weather and water temps. January and Feb can be good but you run the risk of a strong cold front shutting down the bite for a few days. My best months are March, April and May while post spawn fish are hungry and feeding in the shallows.

The further south you go, the warmer water, earlier spawn and less effect cold fronts will have.

If you have any specific questions about an area or spot, fire away!
Ultimate 12, Trident 13,
watertime
KBF 500 Club

Postby flflash » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 am

Watertime is right about the weather issues early in the year. Once you get it pinned down to a date and area I'm sure we can hook you up with the better places to try.
Are you going to be camping? If your planning on staying at a campground get your reservations in a soon as possible the campgrounds down here fill up with snowbirds during the winter months.
One other thing beware of info from the internet concerning fishing information some of it's rather dated and the lakes down here change in charactor over time, some are better than stated some are'nt as good.

Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Angler

Not all those who wander are lost
flflash
KBF 1000 Club

Postby flyfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I am in the way preliminary i.e. haven't talked it over with the misses just yet, so i am not even sure of any of what and when i would want to go. Part of me is also thinking maybe i should drive a little further and go to lake falcon down in texas. The fishing there seems ridiculous too.
flyfisher
KBF 1000 Club

Return to Florida Bass Paddlers