• Advertisement
Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear

Just how much Wind will You go out in?

Paddlers all over Florida are discovering the excitement of chasing mossybacks in the Sunshine State. If you live in Florida, plan on visiting or just wanna see what is going on, check out the Florida Bass Paddlers.

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne

Just how much Wind will You go out in?

Postby flflash » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

MAN! I don't mind the Cool/Cold days so much but the WIND this weekend was TERRIBLE 15-20 mph from the NE with GUST's up to 25!

I fished one of my nice secluded, Protected from the wind ONF lakes Sat. the Bass where stoked up and biting! Flat wore out a couple BooYah spinnerbaits in a couple hours. 12 LM between 16" and 18"s, nice fish for the clear water forest lakes! Wind was'nt so bad, maybe I did'nt notice because I was catching fish?

Sunday I fished a group of small lakes near my home because I could'nt get out before 2 pm. Their basicly three long narrow lakes connected by shallow marsh and running North to South, of course I wanted to fish the far North lake and my launch area is on the south shore of the South lake ( the lake is surrounded by private property and the owner only wants me to use the south entrance, No off roading ) These lakes are very fertile have depths to 18' are ringed by Kissimee grass some cypress with lotsa nice points, edges and drop-offs, I Always catch fish here and have caught 2 over 8lbs here.
A normal 15-20 minute paddle turned into a hour long struggle, my arms looked like Popeye's and still feel like marshmellows. Even hiding in the coves the wind was swirling. I tried everything for 4 hrs..... Sunday I caught No fish but did have fun surfing on the way back to my launch point.
I'd post some pics but have to admit I was so busy bailing, trying to stay upright and headed the right way I never pulled my camera out either day.

So Just How Much Wind do You consider TO MUCH?

Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Angler

Not all those who wander are lost
flflash
KBF 1000 Club

Advertisement

Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear

Re: Just how much Wind will You go out in?

Postby flyfisher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm

The last two times i have been out the forecast called for 15-25 and gusts up to 30-35. I did much like you and tried to focus on wind protected areas and techniques that are more wind friendly.

But i guess too it depends on temperature. I will go out on a sunny 40 degree day much more willingly than a windy 45 degree day.

I also much prefer to paddle into the wind going out and use the wind to my advantage coming back :) Although i swear last time it switched and i fought the wind both on the paddle in and paddle out.

But to answer your questions, I am gonna pretty much go out regardless of the wind as long as i feel it is safe.
flyfisher
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Turtle135 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree, as long as it is safe, I'm going to give it a shot.

I have found trying to use an anchor with a kayak is enough to drive me bonkers. I can never seem to get anchored in the right position. So I recently got a stake out pole from Palmetto:

http://www.palmettokayakfishing.com/fiberglasssop.html

With the stake out pole in high wind I've found it more useful to use the paracord tether (and sometimes an extra length of rope) than going through one of the scupper holes. I also changed out the brass clip for a snap ring carabiner that I can quickly hook to any number of points on the Tarpon.

Now, let the wind blow! The wind should stir up some shallow fishing action much of the year and with the stake out pole I can lock onto a location (and quickly reposition without too much hassle).
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Ride 115

Dave

Turtle135
KBF 1000 Club

Postby flyfisher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Yeah a stake out pole is next on my list of items to buy. Also, i have heard from a few sources that using the stake out pole in the scupper hole is not the best as it is putting added stress on one of the weaker parts of the yak. Not to mention if you have the ability to stand in your boat wouldn't it be in the way?

I would just use the ring on your anchor trolley to hold the stake out pole and then there would be no worries.
flyfisher
KBF 1000 Club

Postby kayakbassTX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:41 pm

I have a stake out pole, anchor, and brush claw that I use. But to be honest if the wind is close to 15mph I stay home in any temp and a lot of times unless I know the fish are biting I might stay home in 10mph depends on which way the wind is blowing in reference to where the fish are biting. If I can paddle into the wind and set up drifts back to the launch I'm more likely to go.

Tight lines!!!!
CFO(Chief Fishing Officer)
Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Ride 115
kayakbassTX
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Turtle135 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 pm

flyfisher - ever notice the more you get into kayak fishing, the longer that list of items we need to buy gets? :D

As far as standing goes, I'm in a Tarpon 100, so I never stand, but if I staked through the front scuppers (as most Wildy yaks have) I don't think the stake out pole would be in the way (actually might be something you could brace against if it wasn't stuck down to the hilt).
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Ride 115

Dave

Turtle135
KBF 1000 Club

Postby watertime » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I'll go out in wind up to about 20mph but only if I have some protection, the lee of a shoreline, some grassy islands. The main thing I consider is fetch over open water that I may have to cross. An average size lake can get pretty rough in a kayak. I use my anchor a lot on a windy day.
Ultimate 12, Trident 13,
watertime
KBF 500 Club

Postby PA-Smallies » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I will fish in any kind of wind. 15-20 is no fun but I will do it. The trick is to find protected areas when possible or use the wind in some way to your advantage. clusters of Islands on rivers offer protection many times. On lakes, checking wind direction and using a topo map prior to the trip can clue you into areas that may be somewhat protected from the wind.

Extreme Wind fishing......Jeff and I fished during the 50 mile per hour winds in February last year on the Susquehanna (not recommended). Jeff has video of me litterally surfing swells that were created when the unhindered wind blew straight up the main river into the wide mouth of a feeder creek which was flowing directly into the wind. The wind blowing up the creek against the current created 2+ foot swells at times. It was some awesome surf! :)
Juan Veruete, Licensed Fishing Guide & ACA Certified Kayak Instructor
Kayak Fish PA, LLC -Professional Kayak Fishing Instruction and Guide Service
Kayak Fish PA, LLC Facebook
Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks - YakAttack - TFO Rods - kokatat
My river chariots: Ride 115, Ride 135, Tarpon 120
PA-Smallies
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Too Busy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am

I USED TO fish in any wind, it just doesn't seem to be as much fun as it was.

This time of year I'll stay on the hill if it's blowing 20 sustained.
Too Busy
KBF 3000 CLUB

Postby HookUp » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:26 pm

If I get a chance to go fishing, I'm out.

There's always a sheltered spot.

But noted you lived in FL - so if hurricane conditions are fcsted, I probably would stay home.
HookUp
KBF 3000 CLUB

Return to Florida Bass Paddlers