• Advertisement
KayakBassinTV

What would you do? 2 things I can't stand

Forum Sponsored by: Kayak Bassin TV

Heading out, Float Plans, Fishing reports, lessons learned, productive patterns, not so productive patterns, sob stories, came home and your wife was gone, got skunked..........

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

What would you do? 2 things I can't stand

Postby CTGalloway21 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 am

1. Fishing between a lot of trees in the middle of some water and got hung up in a trot line. I had to cut it to get my lure back. Being in a kayak makes you more prone for these hard to reach spots that people use trotlines.

2. Since I have been in a kayak, I have noticed more and more jugging equipment being abandoned. Majority of trash I see is lost jugs. I can not stand jugging and consider it littering. What do you do if you fish all day and keep seeing this jug bobbing up and down and it appears to have been abandoned? Do you go cut the fish loose?

Trotlines and jugging are two things that bother me and I don't know which is the right thing to do. Leave them alone or clean them up.
2012 Jackson Coosa Yellow Jacket
CTGalloway21
KBF 500 Club

Advertisement

KayakBassinTV

Re: What would you do? 2 things I can't stand

Postby ReelYankee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 am

If I see old junk like that just floating around or hanging in trees, I cut that sh!t down. I understand how troutlines work and some people use them to put food on the table.....that's fine....but I feel some people run them because "all the cool kids are doing it" and they just want to catch a bunch of fish and brag about it. ***end rant***

If they're being used for the right reasons and being kept up with I leave them alone. If they're rotted and rusty I cut them. That's just me.
WS Commander 140 aka "Old Polina"
Hobie PA 14
Native Watercraft Versa Board
Perception Sport Caster 12.5 R.I.P. (seriously, R.I.P. I ran over it with my Jeep on I-35N)
ReelYankee
KBF AmBASSador

Postby MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 am

If they are properly tagged and being used within regulation I leave them be. If they are abandoned, not labled, and I accidently get snagged on it I may pull myself to it and accidently cut the line, and then have to dispose of properly. If I see someone jugging illegally (non-labled, jugs to close to a dam, etc.) then I call the authorities, and feel better because I fee I have done the right thing.
http://kayakbassfishingtn.com/
A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses."
MidTNKayakAngler
KBF 3000 CLUB

Postby BamaFan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm guessing from your description of "Fishing between a lot of trees in the middle of some water" that you made it out to Cooter's Pond Saturday? I see what you are describing way too often on all the rivers and larger creeks around here. Many of which are not "legal" based on the Alabama Fishing Regulations. I've posted about people leaving bank hooks/set hooks and trot lines before and it has become a sore topic for me. Here are some quotes from the Alabama Fishing Regulation:

"Alabama requires the ends of trot lines within twenty-five feet of the bank shall be made up of at least six feet of untreated cotton. Untreated cotton line must also be used where the line is attached to the bank or anchors. Also all other anchors within twenty-five feet of the bank must be attached to the untreated cotton line. Any line left unattended for 48 hours may be removed by Division personnel and destroyed [220-2-.44 (8)]."

"All trot lines, or any other fishing gear that is left unattended, is not to be left for more than seven days."

If you are serious about it and want to make a difference, here is what I would suggest. Carry a Sharpie permanent marker and some type of ribbon with you. The first time you see a jug/float or a trot line or limb hook, either write the date on it or tie a specific colored ribbon you have on it. If it's still there after 7 days or the trot line is illegal based on the description above, call "GameWatch" at 1-800-272-Game or text "Gamewatch" and a full description/location to 847411.

It only takes a minute and if enough concerned anglers will make an effort, we can make a huge difference and clean up our rivers and streams here in "Alabama the Beautiful"! I can't say what I would do in the case of the jug you saw bobbing around all day, but if you felt it was "unattended" for more than 24hrs based on your visual evaluation and no one else was around... Well, you get my drift!

Sorry for the rant! :)

BamaFan
KBF 500 Club

Postby ReelYankee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:01 pm

BamaFan wrote:Sorry for the rant! :)

Great post, good idea with the ribbon. I'm gonna have to look into the LA regs...
WS Commander 140 aka "Old Polina"
Hobie PA 14
Native Watercraft Versa Board
Perception Sport Caster 12.5 R.I.P. (seriously, R.I.P. I ran over it with my Jeep on I-35N)
ReelYankee
KBF AmBASSador

Postby WhiteWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

I fill up the Commander with the jugs and line. If it is not tagged it goes.
Columbia Pro Team-PFG,
The Fish Grip Team,
V & M baits,

Wilderness Commander 140
Wilderness Ride 135

*United States Army Veteran*

"You have never lived until you have almost died, for those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a special flavor the protected will never know." ...SFA//SOA
WhiteWolf
KBF 1000 Club

Postby lconn4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Before the lake filled back up after a prolonged drought, Lake Palestine, Tx where I normally fish, was like a spider web of trotlines in some of the stump filled coves. Many were 4 feet above the water line, and the number that could be seen at or below were even more alarming. Jugs, single hand lines from shore, and single lines hanging from tree limbs, it was disgusting. It got to where I was afraid to throw a deep diving plug for fear of hooking up. Started to post about it when I first came the KBF site 6 or so months ago but didn't want to start out complaining.

After hooking deep diving crank bait for the umpteenth time I went to whacking every line that wasn't tagged. I whacked em all for fear of getting hook in neck paddling back through the area after dark. Spoke to a boater at the ramp one day and he told me about a situation he had in the same area the year before.

He told me that he was cutting a line one afternoon and then heard shots being fired his way. He left and headed back for marina after calling law enforcement. Now he carries two pistols and a shotgun in his boat.

What intrigued me the most was that he claims a lot of folks in the area put their trotlines at water level and don't even have to bait the hooks as catfish will mouthhook themselves.

Anyway what I wanted to mention is the importance of being very cautious when trying to retrieve a lure from a deep bottom weighted trotline. As a kid my dad and his fishing buddy, the local game warden, had a trotline that we ran during certain times of the year. I'll never forget the day we set it out with huge rocks for anchors on each end, stretching it with boat motor in almost full throttle before dropping the second rock overboard. The point is if you hook one you'll have a hard time getting it up to surface without the use of a heavy lined lure retriever, and if you do, once you get it up to surface the more tension will be pulling back. Trying to hold the trotline up, unhook or cut out lure using both hands over one side of the kayak is a recipie for disaster, not to mention if there's a monster catfish dangling around on one of the hooks.

Be safe.
"A good rule of angling philosphy is not to intefere with any fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated." Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919
lconn4
KBF 500 Club

Postby georgia riverrat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm

i agree with white wolf especially if their limblines and have the nice 3/4oz egg sinkers on them
Catching out of a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 & OK Scrambler
georgia riverrat

Postby WhiteWolf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I have found a few good baits too when doing this.
Columbia Pro Team-PFG,
The Fish Grip Team,
V & M baits,

Wilderness Commander 140
Wilderness Ride 135

*United States Army Veteran*

"You have never lived until you have almost died, for those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a special flavor the protected will never know." ...SFA//SOA
WhiteWolf
KBF 1000 Club

Postby CrX970 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm

If its a jug and its not labeled (state law says they should be) I cut the line, take the hook, and put the excess line inside the jug because, face it, in a kayak we don't have the room for all the trash we see. If its labeled and has bait on it, I'll leave it alone. If its not labeled and has a fish, the fish gets a release. If its labeled and has a fish, I'll give it a few hours and at the end of the day release it, especially if I haven't seen anyone checking their jugs.

However, I, somehow, have never found a true trot line.

The one thing I really hate is a limb line. A line with a hook and bait just dangling in the water. I couldn't tell you how many dead fish, birds, and small mammals I've seen on those. I feel no remorse for cutting their hooks off and tying the excess line around the branch. One of the more secluded lakes up here is littered with them and I'm tired of seeing dead animals stuck on them!! And as far as I can tell you aren't required to label them and I've never seen TWRA police them either. It's very frustrating.

These "passive" forms of "fishing" are nothing more than littering and should be banned. There's no good way to police it either.
CrX970
KBF 1000 Club

Next

Return to Goin' Fishin' and Been Fishin' (FISHING REPORTS)