• Advertisement
KayakBassinTV

Service Dog on Yak -- Fly Fishing Wounded vet

Forum Sponsored by: Kayak Bassin TV

Heading out, Float Plans, Fishing reports, lessons learned, productive patterns, not so productive patterns, sob stories, came home and your wife was gone, got skunked..........

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

Service Dog on Yak -- Fly Fishing Wounded vet

Postby double dip » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Need suggestions

Anthony is a 101st Airborne wounded veteran with a service dog. Has a condition that he can sit but can arbitrarily pass out if he stands. Faith - the dog -is trained to alert if he should pass out and also be able to move him to safety if he is unconscious or injured. Pretty amazing stuff!!!

He is looking for a yak to carry him and dog. He also wants to fly fish. Would like the dog in front of him. Behind would be OK. He and the dog are about 240 lb. He will stay sitting. Doesn't need a standing yak. Needs something very stable. Dog is very obedient - but a dog. Will be antsy in yak.

Would also love to get any help to make this happen.

PADDLE. FISH. HEAL.
double dip
KBF 500 Club

Advertisement

KayakBassinTV

Re: Service Dog on Yak -- Fly Fishing Wounded vet

Postby Padre » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Diablo, maybe?
2009 Native Ultimate 12
2013 WS Tarpon 160
2011 WS Ride 135 Gone but not forgotten

Padre
KBF 500 Club

Postby inrll » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I would think any hybrid would be perfect. All that open space for the pup and plenty of space for gear in the back.
Native Watercraft Ultimate 12
Ocean Kayak Frenzy
Favorite hillbilly bumper sticker: "Wishin I'ze Fishin"
inrll
KBF 1000 Club

Postby vakayakangler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

tina paddled the new Frontier at the Richmond saltwater expo with her 115 pound boxer assistance dog in yak... the kayak was fine. Kelevra loved the kayak and his biggest challenge was trying to catch ALL the paddle drippings. Room for the dog up front and the kayak is extremely stable.. she was able to sit in the pedestal seat and to stand and paddle.

The more upright seated position is perfect for fly fishing and there is plenty of room to accomodate the dog, the boat is easily personalized for each anglers needs. NuCanoe may be able to help, and local sponsors might be able to help offset the costs.

If Tina wasn't in love with the commander, she had looked HARD at this kayak as a replacement because LEV was so comfortable in it. :)
Attachments
nucanoe frontier with Miss T and Kelevra.jpg
Jim in Central VA,"Broken Ol' Marine"
Chapter Coordinator: Central Virginia Heroes on the Water
kayakangler@verizon.net
vakayakangler
KBF AmBASSador

Postby double dip » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Jim -- Thanks for the pic. looks good. We have had newbies check out the yaks with higher seats. They feel uncomfortable with them. Unstable. They are sitting way above the water surface compared to a conventional sit on top. Scares them. Especially with an animal that may not be ready to sit in a yak.

We will have him look at several. He is at Ft Campbell.
PADDLE. FISH. HEAL.
double dip
KBF 500 Club

Postby ldsudduth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm

double dip wrote:Jim -- Thanks for the pic. looks good. We have had newbies check out the yaks with higher seats. They feel uncomfortable with them. Unstable. They are sitting way above the water surface compared to a conventional sit on top. Scares them. Especially with an animal that may not be ready to sit in a yak.

I wouldn't rule this one out--it's pretty darn stable; as wide as a Ride 135, if not wider. I have an acquaintance (Nate Follmer) here in PA who is on ProStaff for NuCanoe.

PM me your information and I'll see if I can hook you up with Nate..
In America today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops. ~Paul Brooks

Wilderness Systems Ride 135
ldsudduth
KBF ANGLER

Postby WhiteWolf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:23 pm

I love my commander, but I think Jim is point on with the choice.
Columbia Pro Team-PFG,
The Fish Grip Team,
V & M baits,

Wilderness Commander 140
Wilderness Ride 135

*United States Army Veteran*

"You have never lived until you have almost died, for those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a special flavor the protected will never know." ...SFA//SOA
WhiteWolf
KBF 1000 Club

Postby vakayakangler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 pm

ldsudduth wrote:
double dip wrote:Jim -- Thanks for the pic. looks good. We have had newbies check out the yaks with higher seats. They feel uncomfortable with them. Unstable. They are sitting way above the water surface compared to a conventional sit on top. Scares them. Especially with an animal that may not be ready to sit in a yak.

I wouldn't rule this one out--it's pretty darn stable; as wide as a Ride 135, if not wider. I have an acquaintance (Nate Follmer) here in PA who is on ProStaff for NuCanoe.

PM me your information and I'll see if I can hook you up with Nate..

The only downside to this yak for Miss T WAS the width, it's significantly wider than the Commander and it's the reason the raised seating wasn't a problem. Kelevra wasn't a problem due to his training... like most service animals, when his master spoke, he listened. :twisted:

The length and width make it VERY stable. She was able to stand and paddle the kayak the length of the demo pool at the Salt Water Expo after having been in the yak less than 5 minutes... looked like some movie star on the red carpet with all the flashes going off. I'd bet there are pics of that somewhere but WE didn't get pics of it. I was tending the booth and someone else was kind enough to send me the one you see here. ;)

The advice I always give folks is the only way to know is they have to try them for themselves, WE love the commanders, but we never recommend that someone else buy a kayak because WE like it, they have to paddle the one they buy, and they might not! :P
Jim in Central VA,"Broken Ol' Marine"
Chapter Coordinator: Central Virginia Heroes on the Water
kayakangler@verizon.net
vakayakangler
KBF AmBASSador

Postby LONE STAR » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LONE STAR
KBF AmBASSador

Postby dinosaur » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 pm

As a member of Team Nucanoe and owner of a NuCanoe 10 and the Frontier I'm going to add my 2 cents on this. All NuCanoe models are very stable for sitting in. Also super stable to stand in. The Frontier is very easy to stand up from the seated position due to the wider deck. The NuCanoe 10 & 12 take a little more of a balancing act to stand up, but it can be done. Taking a service animal on the Frontier would be my choice since the deck is much lower, wider and flat. Room for the pup to sit and lay down. The seats can be modified for any height as I did since I wasn't happy with the factory mounts (I've enclosed pics). Plus they can carry 550-650 lbs. The only drawback that I've come across with these boats is the weight. Empty the NuCanoe 10 weighs 55 lbs, NuCanoe 12 and Frontier 77 lbs. With the wheels that NuCanoe sells I manage moving the boats around with a little effort on my part. I have even made a set of wheels for the Frontier so it rides a little higher, the bottom kept dragging with with the NuCanoe manufacutered wheels. Any kayak can be modified or changed to suit the needs of the person using it, just have to start with the kayak that fits that persons basic needs. Heck, look at all the ideas that have come from KBF. Promise not to "blog" so long in the future.

Heck, tinkering with this fishing stuff
is half the fun of using it!!
NuCanoe Frontier, Team NuCanoe
dinosaur
KBF ANGLER

Next

Return to Goin' Fishin' and Been Fishin' (FISHING REPORTS)