• Advertisement
KayakBassinTV

GREAT rainy winter day on the river!!!

Forum Sponsored by: Kayak Bassin TV

Heading out, Float Plans, Fishing reports, lessons learned, productive patterns, not so productive patterns, sob stories, came home and your wife was gone, got skunked..........

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

GREAT rainy winter day on the river!!!

Postby hennedup » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

So here in Southwest VA its rained for two straight days! So I did some fishing but it wasnt on the river. I started fishing from a kayak in 2007 and river fishing for smallies at the same time. I had only trout fished until then.

In 2007-2010 there was really on two or three sites I posted on. Riversmallies(did more searching on it than posting) American rivers but Blue Ridge Kayaking got all my fish reports. So this afternoon I went back and read my trip reports from 07-10.

When I first started fishing I was just happy to catch a fish! I was armed with a rebel craw and a 3" grub. I had never fished a senko,tube,jig-n-pig,flukes or anything but I kept reading post from Hookup, BassManPete, and Yakfish AKA(Jeff Litttle) They constantly kept posting pics of big smallies...and posted pictures and sharing so much knowledge.

So I took there knowledge and applied it to my home waters. It was great to read and actually see myself learn and grow in this never ending addiction of chasing trophy smallies.

Late 2008 my fishing really took off but the winter rolled in and I went out with lots of confidence but quickly lost all that after several trips without catching a fish. I was stressing out. Then one day I didnt worry about catching a fish and just enjoyed being out. I was dead drifting a clown colored x rap and a beautiful COLD New River smallie liked my presentation and without doing anything. I watched him come from a ledge trench and slowly grab my x rap for my 1st winter cold water smallie.

Now I spent many many more winter days without catching a fish but that one day gave me the confidence and the right mind setting to keep chasing them!!
hennedup
KBF ANGLER

Advertisement

KayakBassinTV

Re: GREAT rainy winter day on the river!!!

Postby Turtle135 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 pm

That is just a great looking smallie.

I've come to really appreciate this fishing in the "offseason". Most places I go in late December, January and February I am on the only one on the water. Just me and mother nature and fishing at a very careful measured pace.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Ride 115

Dave

Turtle135
KBF 1000 Club

Postby HookUp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am

This time of the year is when you learn. The skunking's are many, but when you hook one & bring it to lip, the rewards make it all worth it.

And crank baits do work in the middle of the winter - I don't throw them much, since I have more confidence in jigs & tubes, but I should.
HookUp
KBF 2000 Club

Postby elhoward622 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:49 am

HookUp wrote:This time of the year is when you learn. The skunking's are many, but when you hook one & bring it to lip, the rewards make it all worth it.

And crank baits do work in the middle of the winter - I don't throw them much, since I have more confidence in jigs & tubes, but I should.

Great perspective. River fishing sure does spoil you when you have those 20,30,50 fish days and there is an 18"er on every corner. The cold water period really takes some patience and makes you enjoy simply being on the river. I am guilty of getting too caught up in trying to catch big fish and not stopping to enjoy being on the water. Some of the best trips can be spent fishing close to friends, sitting on a rock eating a snack, floating three wide downstream, taking a moment to sit on a sandbar and watch the water go by. We all need to take a step back from time to time and remember its not all about posting up 20"ers, but it is about enjoying being on the water and loving fishing.
elhoward622
KBF ANGLER

Postby HookUp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:26 pm

I've been saying this for a while.

Was on the river Saturday, wiffed two bites, nothing liped. The experiance was memorable.

I consider days like Sunday paying dues for those cinderella-session days. It's also practice, being on your a-game, so when the fish are cooperating, feeling the bite, setting the hook becomes second nature.

Get out often, even when conditions are not ideal.
HookUp
KBF 2000 Club

Postby tjn293 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:53 pm

and you my friend have found the most important tool of them all with river fishing... confidence. gorgeous fish and I envy the fact that you float the New River regularly. what a beautiful place it is. nice fat brown bass!
tjn293
KBF ANGLER

Postby ldsudduth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 pm

elhoward622 wrote:
Great perspective. River fishing sure does spoil you when you have those 20,30,50 fish days and there is an 18"er on every corner. The cold water period really takes some patience and makes you enjoy simply being on the river. I am guilty of getting too caught up in trying to catch big fish and not stopping to enjoy being on the water. Some of the best trips can be spent fishing close to friends, sitting on a rock eating a snack, floating three wide downstream, taking a moment to sit on a sandbar and watch the water go by. We all need to take a step back from time to time and remember its not all about posting up 20"ers, but it is about enjoying being on the water and loving fishing.

x2
In America today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops. ~Paul Brooks

Wilderness Systems Ride 135
ldsudduth
KBF ANGLER

Return to Goin' Fishin' and Been Fishin' (FISHING REPORTS)