• Advertisement
Major League Fishing

What hook are you using?

Forum Sponsored by: MAJOR LEAGUE FISHING

Share your tips, technigues, tactics, presentations and strategies. Discuss considerations for selecting lures, areas to fish, when to fish and other important considerations to increase your success. Discuss your favorite gear for each technique and share recommendations and product reviews.

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne, Jeff Little

What hook are you using?

Postby Bass & BBQ » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:54 pm

For Texas rigged, or Florida rigged worms? For flukes?

I've been out of the loop and there are some new things on the market these days. Which of course leads to these stupid questions.

I am seeing a lot of EWG type hooks. What is the idea behind them? Best uses?

Most of what I have in my box right now is a standard looking offset. Back in the day, I was very partial to Tru-Turn hooks. It just seemed my hook up rate was way better with them than anything else.

I also see keeper type worms with a barbed stick that jabs down in the plastic or hooks with springs to twist the plastic on. What are the best uses for these types.

Just trying to catch up.
Image Image
Bass & BBQ
KBF 1000 Club

Re: What hook are you using?

Postby oubassman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 am

For Texas rigged, like the wide gapped hooks. Probably 5/0 for 10", at least 3/0 or even 4/0 for lizards and 6" worms.

For flukes, two options. Wide gap 2/0 or 3/0 for Fluke Jr's & 5/0 for 5" senkos. If you want a little weight, use the ones with weight on bottom. Also nose hooking the senko's is good, probably 2/0 finesse hook on smaller flukes
Fishing from a Tarpon 120 &
Commander 140
oubassman
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby Plasticpirogue » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 am

Good questions.

For t-rigging (and all of it's variations) I normally use a Gamakatsu EWG 3/0, 4/0, or 5/0. The "extra wide gap" insures that even when using big bulky plastics like tubes, beefy worms, and creature baits you will have ample depth in the hook bend to insure a good hookset.

If I am fishing a small finesse plastic, or fishing a floating worm I don't use an EWG as it is a heavier hook (in the same size) than a standard off-set hook.

For fishing toads (Ribbets or HornyToads) is used to use the "superline" version of the EWG (as above) in the 5/0. I used the heavier wire superline hook b/c it almost guaranteed that my toad would splash down in the hook down position. But I found a hook I like better for toads (this is IMPORTANT...I take my toad fishing very seriously :lol: :roll: ) it's a screw lock EWG. Zoom sells one for use with the HornyToad, and I have used the Owner. Problem with the Owner is that it uses a "center-pin" in the screw-lock that tends to pull a "core" out of the plastic when a fish gets rough with ur bait. But they hold very well and are really easy to rig correctly.

I agree about the old TruTurn hooks, those things were the BOMB. Hook up percentage was really good, but I think the move to premium hooks from Asia really put a whoopin on standard, non-chemically sharpened hooks. It's ironic that some of the newest hooks on the market aren't chemically sharpened, but have gone back to mechanically sharpened. Go figure.

I'm currently playing around with a new hook that isn't even made from wire. It's called a Jack Hook and if you don't know Jack, you don't know hooks. They are actually lazer cut from plate stainless and sharpened in the same style as a TroKar Hook. You don't tie them on either........
aka: "Grand Master Spinnerbait Caster PP Flash"
Plasticpirogue
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby flyfisher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:33 am

I think all the avice here is good. For flukes i like 4/0 EWG. I used gamakatsus for a while and on a whim i went and tried the trokars. I will be switching to trokars as i need to replace my existing hook stash. They are sharper and seem to hold up very well. Yeah i know they are expensive but i feel that my hookup ratio has increased when fishing flukes and yum dingers.

I also like their weighted swim bait hooks for the yum money minnow and swimming flukes and the unweighted swimbati for soft plastic frogs.

I saw those jack hooks and was thinking about trying them myself as they apparently work pretty well and are beginning to get quite a following.
flyfisher
KBF 1000 Club

Postby diamondback » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am

I use 5/0 ewg on big worms,big critter baits,anf flukes. 3/0 offset with smaller worms and crawfish.both gammie.Stanley double hooks for toads.I saw some the other day that I might would try flippin or in heavy vegatation.cant remember who made but had a keeper welded in place to keep the bait on that looked like it would work.
diamondback
Wilderness Systems 2010 ANGLER OF THE YEAR

Postby beard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:05 pm

I like the gammy EWG hooks for most of my soft plastics and the WG finesse hook for wacky rigging and nose hooking. Also got a pack of Owner twistlock hooks that are great for toads.
Pescador 12

Fisherman and Homebrewer
beard
KBF 500 Club

Postby Bass & BBQ » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 pm

You guys are the best. Great answers.

I did a little hook experiment today. I tied an ewg hook on my worm rod and used a 7 1/2" worm. I left an offset on the rod I was using for super flukes.

The results were pretty dramatic. I only missed on fish on the worm with the ewg hook and I'm pretty sure it was really small or a bluegill or something. I caught 2 and missed probably 4 on the fluke with the regular offset. I was fishing it on top with a lot of grass anywhere from right on the surface to about 2 feet below. The two I caught absolutely hammered it so I didnt really have a chance to miss.

I probably should have used them the other way around but I needed to re-tie the worm rod anyway and just didnt think about the purpose of the gap being to make room for all that plastic.

This was the first time I had been to this place and with all that vegetation so close to the surface, I cant wait to go pull a frog across it. :mrgreen:
Image Image
Bass & BBQ
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Bass & BBQ » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Plasticpirogue wrote:
I agree about the old TruTurn hooks, those things were the BOMB. Hook up percentage was really good, but I think the move to premium hooks from Asia really put a whoopin on standard, non-chemically sharpened hooks. It's ironic that some of the newest hooks on the market aren't chemically sharpened, but have gone back to mechanically sharpened. Go figure.

I figured if anyone would remember the TruTurn it would be you. :D I almost never missed a hook set with those.
Image Image
Bass & BBQ
KBF 1000 Club

Postby Plasticpirogue » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Bass & BBQ wrote:
Plasticpirogue wrote:

I figured if anyone would remember the TruTurn it would be you. :D I almost never missed a hook set with those.

Used the snot out of those things back in the early 1990s; they really did work. But I think far too many people figured that they were just a marketing gimmick and wouldn't try them out. I sure the heck wished I had bought a lifetime supply, cause I would still be using them if I had any left.
aka: "Grand Master Spinnerbait Caster PP Flash"
Plasticpirogue
KBF 5000 CLUB

Postby geothlypis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 pm

For small baits (4" or so) I highly favour Owner's rig-n-hook. I choose 1/0 and 2/0 as the are smaller than other hooks in similar sizes (Gamakatsu's wide gaps in size 1 are larger than rig-n-hooks 1/0).
For general Texas rigging I prefer Gamakatsu's wide gap in sizes 2/0-4/0. That gives you versatility for changing different profile baits. But if I'm using thin plastics I prefer Owner's offset hooks, it gives me a better hookset with lots less missed fish. I use this when using worms, lizards or other thin plastics.
However if you will be spending a lot of hooks and fish heavily I would use BassProShops' XPS brand hooks. They are quite good and a lot cheaper. However they go blunt faster and are more brittle, but for the price they can't be beat.
If you go after big bass use thick wire hooks, but I really prefer to use light wire hooks as I can bend them with a steady pull (I use braid wih leaders) and get off a snag.
For huge plastics such as a 7" Texas rigged senko or a 12"
Worm use a gamakatsu Monster hook in 7/0.

Alejandro Perez Arteaga
Morelia, Mexico
http://hook1mx.com
geothlypis
KBF 1000 Club

Next

Return to Fishin' Gear, Tactics, Techniques, Tips, Presentations and Strategies