• Advertisement
fishdv8

Fossils and Artifacts in Lake Whitney Texas

Forum Sponsored by: FISHDV8

Life is about more than fishing (I guess), so discuss all your othe hobbies and interests here.....KEEP IT CLEAN!!!!! Express your opinions based on the merits of your own opinion, not by attacking those of others! Personal attacks will not be tolerated!

Moderators: oubassman, BigYaker, w2n, PA hillbilly, Wayners, kayakfish, PA-Smallies, SnookOne

Fossils and Artifacts in Lake Whitney Texas

Postby flflash » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I thought this was interesting article, any of you Texas boys know if Lake Whitney is a natural lake or impoundment?

When the weather is right, Lake Whitney State Park in Texas is a wonderful place for outdoor weekend athletes to get their fix. From boating, fishing, scuba diving and water skiing, the lake offers it all.

But with Texas locked in a record setting drought, the sinking water levels have turned the lake into something Indiana Jones would love. Texans have recently uncovered 8,000-year-old secrets, reports WFAA Dallas.

Both fossils and Native American tools have turned up at Lake Whitney. You have to go back at least 20 years since anyone has seen the formally remote underwater caverns that have been exposed by the historic drought. For some visitors it has been exciting and new. But for others it has been a lesson in criminal law.

It's against Texas and federal regulations to remove Native American artifacts from archaeological sites. But WFAA reports burial sites from ancient times have been disturbed.

The 955-acre park is located near the ruins of Towash Village, an early Texas settlement named for the chief of Hainai Indians, who moved into the region in 1934.

So far, law enforcement has arrested 30 people for committing the crimes against history. Each was fined thousands of dollars and placed on probation.

Some of the dig sites have been repaired at a huge cost -- as much as $30,000

Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Angler

Not all those who wander are lost
flflash
KBF 1000 Club

Re: Fossils and Artifacts in Lake Whitney Texas

Postby gutcheck » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:44 pm

The only natural lake larger than about 50 acres in the entire state is Caddo Lake, and most of that is in Louisiana. Whitney's an impoundment on the Brazos River in north central Texas. 10 fifteen years ago it was developing into a very good smallie fishery, but the whole Brazos watershed has suffered from several red alga blooms that have taken their toll on the fishery. Very pretty lake, and the stretch of the Brazos below it is one of the best floats in the state. It's a shame about the site robbers, but well, people...

With the drought and water levels plummeting, some really interesting stuff is turning up on the exposed lake beds all over the state. Lots of crazy stuff is being reported found on many of the local boards here, not to mention the historical artifacts.
gutcheck
KBF 500 Club

Postby Shaun » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Lake Whitney is a great lake. We use to drive down there every other weekend when I was a baby. My parents started taking me camping at lake Whitney when I was still in diapers. I hope I'm still fishing that lake when I'm old and in diapers again. :lol:
Shaun
KBF 500 Club

Postby Roostertail » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Roostertail
KBF 1000 Club

Postby BigEHokie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I was reading a report the other day where a very large piece of the Columbia shuttle was found in a lake in Texas after the water had come down so much.

Here's a link to the article

http://www.military.com/news/article/columbia-shuttle-item-found-in-texas-lake.html
ImageImageImage
BigEHokie
KBF 1000 Club

Postby yakahtak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:55 am

Crazy story :D

Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler
Future Beach Trophy 126
FLIPINTHEBIRD.COM
northeastkayakanglers.com
yakahtak
KBF 2000 Club