2020 KBF Partner Program Overview
We invite kayak fishing clubs and circuits to partner with KBF in order to:
- Advance the sport of kayak bass fishing.
- Increase membership and program participation for both KBF and affiliated clubs and circuits.
- Provide resources and opportunities that enable clubs and circuits to achieve their goals.
- Encourage innovation while standardizing best practices throughout the kayak fishing community.
- Raise the level of competition, increase rewards, and attract more sponsors, spectators, and publicity.
- Promote KBF sponsors and kayak fishing destinations.
How does my club benefit from Partnership?
- Sponsorship: tap into KBF’s relationships
- Resources; KBF secures event funding, when possible
- Opportunities: qualify your members for regional and national-level competition
- Advancement: enable your members to qualify for regional and national competition
- Protection: by affiliating through KBF with NATA (North American Tournament Association), Partners may choose to be covered by the fishing industry’s best Event Liability Insurance
- Recruitment: greater visibility and the ability to offer more by partnering with KBF increases club membership and event participation
- Influence: KBF Partner leaders serve as KBF advisors and represent their members’ views in formulating and reviewing KBF programs and plans
Sounds good. Let’s do this!
If you are ready to start or renew your partnership with KBF, here are your next steps:
- Verify that at least one of your group’s officers and/or director(s) are currently members of KBF.
- Complete a Partner Profile form so KBF has current organization and contact info. [Link]
- Provide a 2019 Active Member roster so KBF can pay Event Liability Insurance premiums to cover your group.
- Complete a 2020 KBF Strategic Partner Agreement. [Link]
- Display KBF Partner logo on your website, event banners, and/or social media.
- Promote KBF Membership and competition in KBF and other KBF Partner events through club social media, website, communications.
Questions? Email Terry Russell at KBF and let him know the best time and number to reach you.
2021 KBF National Championship
Partner Qualification Award Process
KBF Partners may award qualifications to the 2021 KBF National Championship in two ways:
A. Competition Awards
At any KBF Partner meet-up tournament in which twenty (20) or more compete, Partners may award 2021 KBFNC Qualification to KBF Members who finish in the top 10% (minimum 2). To be eligible, the competitor must have been a KBF Member by start of competition. Click the KBF Member 2020 emblem on this page to open a PDF roster of KBF 2020 Annual and Lifetime Members, arranged alphabetically by first name. Some names appear multiple times (Lifetime members who registered for the Pro Tour, Ambassadors who upgraded to Competitor, etc.).
NOTE: An accommodation is being made for states affected by pandemic restrictions. See Terry Russell’s post, coming soon in the KBF PARTNER LEADERSHIP PANEL.
Awards do not roll down. If the KBF Member has previously qualified in other competition, the qualification is not reported. Within 30 days of the event, Directors report the names and email addresses of award recipients using the KBF Partner Qualification Awards online form.
• For 20-24 competitors, two (2) awards.
• For 25-34 competitors, three (3) awards.
• For 35-44 competitors, four (4) awards, and so on.
COVID-19 Accomodation — Because of current travel and assembly restrictions, some KBF Partners have cancelled club tournaments. Others have converted them to “virtual” tournaments where competitors fish on a specific body of water or a small number of them but never assemble (and may never even see another competitor on the water). Therefore, retroactive to February 1, and until corona-virus restrictions are lifted in your state, KBF is making two accomodations.
- For the duraation, virtual tournaments are classified as KBFNC-qualifying events.
- The minimum number of participants is temporarily lowered to 10.
Each Partner Directors is responsible to determine when opportunities have returned to near-normal. When that occurs in your state, please go back to treating virtual competitions as non-qualifying events.
KBF will still agree to exception requests under some circumstances, like where a state severely limits the number of boats on a body of water or vehicles on the only public parking lot at a lake. Our qualifying status was intended to exclude virtual, pure-online events set up along the lines of a KBF Challenge, where anglers fish on their own schedule, on any eligible body of water within a specified area (region, state, country). If you’ve had to cancel tournaments, and that’s all you have for your members presently, then we’re relaxing that exclusion for a (we hope) short time.
B. At-large Awards
Each KBF Partner that meets the five basic Partnership prerequisites (KBF Partner Profile, Leadership KBF Membership, KBF Agreement, 2019 KBF Active Member roster, KBF Partner identification) by July 1 is authorized to award ten (10) at-large 2021 KBFNC Qualifications to KBF Members. Clubs and Circuits that meet those prerequisites between July 1, 2020 and October 30, 2020 are authorized to award five (5) at-large 2021 KBFNC Qualifications to KBF Members.
KBF recommends that awards be accomplishment- or merit-based; however, Partners decide the basis on which award recipients are identified.
In addition to the at-large qualifications, KBF Partners may award one (1) qualification to a tournament director, in recognition of and appreciation for the service and sacrifices they make on behalf of the kayak bass fishing community.
All-American Kayak Bass Fishing Classic
KBF has cancelled plans for a KBF Partner Championship and is throwing its full support behind the All-American Kayak Bass Fishing Classic, a club-based competition to take place on Truman Lake, MO, November 7, 2020.
We encourage all KBF Partner clubs to take advantage of this opportunity to send its top ten anglers of the year to compete against members of other kayak bass fishing clubs and circuits across the country. This is a terrific way for your club to increase its profile, to incentivize and reward your top competitors, and to grow the sport of kayak bass fishing.
KBF is sponsoring the event with a $5,000 prize fund contribution and with several qualification opportunities. For information and to , contact the host KBF Partner Club’s tournament Directors: Joshua Boothe (firstname.lastname@example.org, 417-499-1043) and Tyler Cole (email@example.com, 563-608-6906).
- 2021 KBFNC — KBF Members in the top 25 qualify for the October 2021 KBF National Championship on the Red River and lakes surroundingt Shreveport-Bossier City.
- KBF The TEN — The All-American Kayak Classic Champion will be invited to compete with the ten top KBF Members of 2020 in the 2021 Dee Zee KBF The TEN. KBF Membership is not required to win this award, although it will be to compete against the country’s top kayak anglers at Kissimmee Chain on Mon/Tue, Feburary 1-2, 2021.
KBF Partner FAQ
Why is KBF trying to impose its Competition Rules on everyone?
Adoption of KBF Competition Rules Standards is optional.
Adoption of KBF Competition Rules is optional for KBF Partners. KBF offers resources that can help the kayak fishing community standardize its rules, practices, technology, judging criteria, and tools. Our goal is for an angler who catches a fish to be able to count that in one, two, three or more concurrent competitions. To facilitate that, all of those competitions should be using the same measuring boards, applying the same scoring criteria, perhaps using the same online apps for uploading, scoring, and displaying results. Also, by adopting a common foundation of rules, kayak anglers who fish in events run by different organizations will have a fairly consistent experience and go in with a more accurate set of expectations on how it’s going to go.
Does a KBF Partner pay KBF anything?
No. Organizations pay no charge to become KBF Partners.
KBF covers its operational and administrative costs through membership fees, sales of merchandise, and sponsorship and venue host revenues. It pays out more than 100% of Entry and Registration Fees each year
Must KBF Partner's members or participants still supply their own liability insurance?
KBF’s Event Liability Insurance covers the organization and its leaders, organizers, and directors for claims by third parties. Each individual member is protected against claims by the liability insurance that is part of their homeowners or renters insurance. It also covers claims against the organization and its leaders by competitors and their families, but the limits are lower.
In today’s litigious climate, it’s a good idea to be covered by a liability insurance policy. The individual insurance mandate for bass tournament participants grew out of bassboat competition and out of whitewater kayaking competition. Some venues require that all organizing groups present proof of liability insurance coverage and that they be provided with a Certificate of Insurance that names them as co-insured on the policy.
NATA’s liability insurance policy covers KBF, KBF Partner organizations and their officers and directors against claims by third parties (also by club participants or members) arising out of loss or injuries at any event, not limited to competitive events. Every homeowner’s or Renter’s policy has a liability insurance component that provides liability protection, which covers individuals within the organization.
If an angler gets injured or killed in a club-sponsored event, or if property is damaged as a result of an organization’s activities, the venue host, club, its organizers, the TD, and KBF will, in all likelihood, be named in lawsuits brought by the injured parties or the surviving family members. NATA’s Event Liability Insurance Policy pays for legal defense and of any judgment, up to one million dollars per claim with no aggregate limit for claims by third parties; less for claims by group members.
Can KBF Partners use the KBF Identifier Form for their own events?
Yes, you may. KBF provides links to a single form or 8 to a page. Both as PDF files, so you can print off and cut out several before you need them. KBF will also have them pre-printed on card stock for KBF tournaments and will make them available to KBF Partners, too.
At what point must one join KBF to be eligible for a 2020 KBF-NC Qualifying Slot?
At the very least, a club member must join KBF before the club awards him with KBF National Championship Qualification…not afterwards.
If, during the 2020 season, a KBF Partner has 20 or more registrants at a meet-up event (tournament, not “virtual,” on-line event), it may qualify the top 10% of the field for the 2021 KBFNC. The qualification can be awarded to top-ranked competitors who were KBF Members prior to start-of-competition. No roll-downs, in case some or all in the top 10% are not KBF Members or previously qualified.
2020 KBF Partner Status Chart (Updated 12/19/2019)